- Vegan Pastry I – Mastering the Basic Components of Fine Pastry March 1st – 12th 2021
The making of vegan pastries and desserts requires a high level of knowledge of both precise ingredients and a true, analyzed sense of the techniques necessary to achieve the desired outcome. In this class we will first give structure to the world of pastries by categorizing them and describing their components in detail, then learning about some of the basic ingredients ( flours, sugars, leavening) and especially all the flavors we can infuse our pastries with that are used in pastry making. After we will go on to the adventure and challenge of using the ingredients that are specific to vegan pastry in order to make classical and contemporary pastries.
We will during the two weeks explore :
– vegan pastry creams ( vanilla, caramel and chocolate pastry, diplomate, mousseline, lemon, chibouste, bavarian, chantilly)
– tart and pie doughs and diverse tarts ( fruit, chocolate etc)
– beaten batters( genoise, financiers, madeleines, cannelés, cakes) and do a yuletide log cake
– toppings, ganaches, glazes, icings, coulis, sauces, inserts and their uses
– production of two major French pastries – le Fraisier et l’Opéra in either both classical and very contemporary versions
– Bakery pastries ( flan and crêpes)
Highlights of the Cooking Class
Duration: two weeks (Monday – Friday 9am to 5:30 pm except Fridays class ends at noon)
Availability: 1st – 12th March 2021
Location/Meeting place: Gentle Gourmet Institute, Domaine de Broc Fontaine, Brosville, Normandy France
Price: 2950 euros (all materials, vests, notebooks and Monday to Thursday lunches included)
Notes: This class builds the foundation for the other courses and for general pastry-making .